Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Murder is going....going....and REVIEW: Peter Loughran's Electronic Flash Box

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in getting a blog posting up. This time of year is crazy busy for me. Check out my schedule thus far just for October...


October 1 – Pocopson, PA – 9:15am & 10:15am
October 2 – Budd Lake, NJ – 10:00am & 2:00pm
October 3 – Wanamassa, NJ – 9:15am & 10:45am
October 4 – New Egypt, NJ – 9:00am
October 4 – Newfane, NY – 7:00pm
October 9 – Norfolk, VA – 1:00pm
October 10 - Willingboro, NJ – 9:15am
October 11 - Upper Saint Clair, PA – 9:00am & 1:00pm
October 12 – Dubois, PA – 1:00pm & 2:00pm
October 15 – Williamsville, NY – 8:30am & 9:30am
October 15 – Buffalo, NY – 7:00pm
October 16 – Milburn, NJ – ALL DAY
October 17 – Short Hills, NJ – ALLDAY
October 18 – Short Hills, NJ – ALL DAY
October 19 – Cranberry, NJ – 1:15pm & 2:15pm
October 22 – Tabernacle, NJ – 9:00am & 10:00am
October 23 – Freeport, NY – ALL DAY
October 24 – Rochester, NY – ALL DAY
October 25  – Freeport, NY – ALL DAY
October 26 – Freeport, NY – 1:30pm & 2:30pm
October 27 – Rush, NY – 8:00pm
October 29 – Cape May Courthouse, NJ – 10:00am & 2:00pm
October 30 - Penn Yan, NY – 1:15pm & 2:15pm

Pretty nuts!!!

Before I get to this week's review, just a reminder: as of December 31st Murder By Magic will NOT be available ANYWHERE. I buckled to the pressure and requests from performers and agreed to make the product available again but only until the end of the year. After December 31st it will not be sold again EVER by me or any other authorized source so if you've been thinking about it, this time period from now til the end of the year will be your LAST chance...EVER.

OK, now on to this week's review: It's Peter Loughran's Electronic Flash Box! It's available for $599 from Hocus Pocus.

EFFECT: Show a handsome, modern box to be completely empty. Suddenly, without any apparent effort on your part, there is a flash of fire and a LIVE animal appears in a flash! No cloth, nothing tricky, just an instantaneous appearance!

WHAT YOU RECEIVE: The Flash Box itself, written instructions and 2 AA batteries. Supply your own table stand, flash products and live animals.

QUALITY: I Love this!! Peter has made this look ultra modern and sleek with the metal trim and the three chains in the front of the box. Having the unit trimmed out in metal not only gives it a modern look but it also protects the prop from bumps and scratches.

DIFFICULTY: I hate saying how easy a trick is because a proclaimation of "easy" is almost a free pass not to practice for some magicians but honestly, you'll be able to perform this right after reading the instructions. This really takes the pressure off and allows you to PERFORM.

MY THOUGHTS: I've actually owned this for a couple of months now but held off on reviewing it until after I actually put it in front of a live group of spectators. I bought this trick for a specific place in a specific themed show (one of my school assemblies).

I knew it would play well because I have a ton of Peter's other stuff. That being said, I wanted to write this review from the standpoint of actually having USED it...I almost always give Peter's stuff a 10 out of 10 so I know some cynical folks out there in "Cyberspace" would believe I was just handing out 10's to Peter without much thought.

Today the trick made it's premier and it brought the house down. I closed with it and was scheduled to do two shows. After the first show, the client said to me, "Oh my GOD that was amazing with the rat! You HAVE to come back! This year!"

All of this before I even finished the job because I still had a second show to do!

Granted, today was only two performances, but I feel confident saying that in my experience, after having bought 5 or 6 of Peter's other effects (that I continue to use to this day) that THIS is the BEST thing I have thus far bought from him.

MY SCORE: 10 out of 10 - of course! I also have Creature Shock on order and look forward to working with that soon.:)

NEXT WEEK: I review Dan Harlan's Manipulation DVD from the Pack Flat series from L&L. After that, other reviews include John Kennedy's Black Box, a killer mentalism effect from Nathan Kranzo and others. Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment