Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Murder By Magic Pre-Sale Ending Soon, Visiting Peter Loughran and REVIEW: Phantasm Portable Pro 2 by Peter Loughran

Thank you all of you for ordering my Murder by Magic - The Ultimate Corporate Magic Show package! I've been getting feedback from clients who have ordered it and the response has been amazing!

That being said, I have not sold that many, less than a dozen. I'm thrilled that those who bought it love it and I only point that out because I don't want anyone thinking the market is being flooded with this concept. I priced it high to keep it from becoming the next Vanishing bandana, LOL.

The pre-release price of $795 will jump up to $995 on August 11, so your chance to save $200 is almost over.

On another note, last week I visited Peter Loughran, magic & illusion builder from Canada. I spent the entire day visiting and chatting with Peter and his lovely wife Lyndsy. I can't remember the last time I spent face time with someone in magic who was so refreshingly down to earth and real. I loved it and can't wait to visit them again.

Part of the reason I visited Peter was so I could pick up some larger effects, one of which I'll be reviewing today. It's Phantasm Portable Pro 2. It's available for $1699.99. Here's the link: http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/product_detail.cfm?item=6719

EFFECT: With Phantasm Portable Pro you can animate borrowed objects sealed inside an examinable Plexiglas box, seemingly with only the power of your mind. You can make the objects, move, slide, levitate, float and even dance in full view while sealed inside the Plexiglas box.

All this without the aid of any special lighting or backdrops.

Use the equipment to demonstrate, telekinesis, poltergeist activity, power of levitation etc. You will receive a specially built remote control programmable receiver that allows you to personalize your own program and animation sequences. Each object you animate can have it's very own program, or choreograph more than one object together, only limited by your own imagination. The receiver is simply placed under or behind any table, chair, prop etc, and it is all controlled with one tiny key-chain mini pocket remote. So easy to perform! Sean Bogunia of Ultimate Magic Productions is responsible for designing the high tech microchips used in the electronic animation system.

You can animate a wide range of borrowed objects such as coins, pictures, keys, jewelry, credit cards, handkerchiefs, cigarettes, playing cards, and pretty much any other small to medium sized object.

WHAT YOU RECEIVE: The clear plexiglass box that's framed in metal for durability, the animation receiver, thread, monofilament, the remote control, written instructions and a custom ATA case to protect the investment.

QUALITY OF EQUIPMENT: Loughran's stuff is first rate. I've been a huge fan of his before I got to know him as a person, so I can still review things with objectivity.:) The box that the objects float/animate in is well-built, but like anything that costs any amount of money, I love the fact that it comes with a case. The animation receiver is housed in protective foam and wood and the electronics are built by Sean Bogunia so you know the electronics are rock-solid.

QUALITY OF INSTRUCTIONS: Peter really goes in depth with the instructions, here, breaking down what really is a simple process into bite-size steps so there's no questions on how any of this works. Additionally, Peter offers several different routine ideas and some of them are very good as I only had one or two ideas, and after reading the instructions, I have more ideas to ponder. Great stuff.

MY THOUGHTS: First of all, I love this. I'm super excited about the idea of being able to borrow objects from the audience and float them in the air. There's just something amazing and magical about that. What surprised me the most is the fact that the clear box can be fully examined both before and after the effect. While the box is gimmicked, its gimmicked in very subtle ways, things that will never tip anything to an audience member. So cool.

The unit I bought is able to animate 2 objects. If you want to animate three objects, it's a little more, $1999.99, but for me, two was fine, but the choice is there.

ANGLES: I feel this is best for stage. It could work in a parlor situation (invisible thread is provided) but it's a pretty big prop for a living room show, so my gut tells me this will shine best on stage. With all that being said, if you're careful with the (simple) get-ready, you can do this surrounded. Beautiful!

MARKETS: I can see this being appropriate for ANY market, adults, kids, teens, etc. Obviously, the main thing to consider is your presentation, as this could be used for a spooky effect, comedy effect, etc so it really is limitless. This is really best viewed as a toolkit, open to hundreds of applications.

RATING: This is the kind of effect that I've always wanted to perform and simply waited for someone to invent, as it's one-man, critical to my own work. A perfect 10 out of 10 and while it may seem pricey to some, it's underpriced as far as I'm concerned.

Until next week...

Best,

Cris

No comments:

Post a Comment